Do's & Dont's
- Prepare tour to hilly region according to information given by weather department or news channel.
- Move away from landslide path or downstream valleys quickly without wasting time.
- Drains should be kept clean.
- Inspect drains for - litter, leaves, plastic bags, rubble etc.
- Keep the weep holes open.
- Grow more trees that can hold the soil through roots,
- Identify areas of rock fall and subsidence of buildings, cracks that indicate landslides and move to safer areas. Even muddy river waters indicate landslides upstream.
- Notice such signals and contact the nearest Tehsil or District Head Quarters.
- Ensure that toe of slope is not cut, remains protected, don't uproot trees unless re-vegetation is planned.
- Listen for unusual sounds such as trees cracking or boulders knocking together.
- Stay alert, awake and active (3A's) during the impact or probability of impact.
- Locate and go to shelters,
- Try to stay with your family and companions.
- Check for injured and trapped persons.
- Mark path of tracking so that you can't be lost in middle of the forest.
- Know how to give signs or how to communicate during emergency time to flying helicopters and rescue team.
- Try to avoid construction and staying in vulnerable areas.
- Do not panic and loose energy by crying.
- Do not touch or walk over loose material and electrical wiring or pole.
- Do not built houses near steep slopes and near drainage path.
- Do not drink contaminated water directly from rivers, springs, wells but rain water if collected directly without is fine.
- Do not move an injured person without rendering first aid unless the casualty is in immediate danger.